Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hallelujah!

I have escaped the mid-week valley of despair! Everything will be fine after all. Turns out when you add vocals to pop songs, they sound a lot better!

I have the lyrics written to 6 of my 8 songs. I'm thinking about combining two into an epic album closer, but I'm not sure yet.

So far I have a fantastic song about job hunting (that is surprisingly beautiful), a couple songs about nothing in particular, and a way-too-fast song about nerdy girls. I'm pretty sure that one is called "Nerdy Girls." The only other songs I titled are called "Pinwheel" and "Here At My Party," which sounds like a church hymn if it were written by Shel Silverstein.

I've actually gone in a completely different direction with the whole album since I last described it...I'm not doing the orchestra thing anymore, and I am showing scary amounts of restraint when it comes to the number of vocal tracks. I don't know what's gotten into me.

I was starting to get a little disappointed by this album, but I've realized it's got much more of the Record Time spirit than my last few...it's more like the first few times we did it. Back when we first started, we had no idea how hard it would be, or how many songs we should aim for, so the albums were much more wild and inconsistent. After that, I started making each album 5 long songs, and while they were still 30 minutes long, I think that may have been cheating a bit. Anyone can write 5 good songs and stretch them out to fill up 30 minutes...it's much more difficult to come up with 8 or 9 totally separate ideas and try to manage your time between them.

Like I said in the message I sent out, I think I want to use this blog to post album reviews when this whole thing is over. It's gonna be a LOT to listen to, but since this is really an exercise more than anything, some constructive criticism is important. And it'll be fun...hopefully everyone who has been posting will be up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment