Friday, October 9, 2009

New Leaf...Album Leaf?

Hey everyone. This will be my third record time where I actually contribute something, whether large or small. In past experiences (not necessarily of the song-writing nature) I've found that when I dive right into the cold plunge I usually end up getting out as fast as I got in. My new policy is something I've dubbed "baby steps"(though I feel like this concept has been used somewhere before...). This year I won't be doing 30 minutes, but I'm shooting for a 3-track EP of sorts and I'm flying solo. A lot of new things have been happening in life this year and I'm hoping to reflect on some of them through the music that comes out. Can a lowly bass player actually write complete songs that are worth listening to? We'll see.
In terms of preparation, it seems from reading this blog that I'm allowed to do more than I thought. I'm working on some song titles and maybe even some artwork in advance. The biggest challenge for me is going to be perseverance and actually finishing what I start. I'm also working on getting homework and projects out of the way so I can focus on this record.
In terms of influences to expect, this may actually end up being mostly instrumental. As the title of my post suggests, I've been listening to quite a bit of album leaf-ish stuff. The new Muse record, Phoenix, We Are Scientists, Mike Weber, and Dan Waldkirch may also come through. Sounds like it could turn out to be cold grits with bloated raisins, but I'm staying optimistic (steamy oatmeal with brown sugar and bananas). More on this starting next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment