Monday, October 5, 2009

Warm up exercises

How do you prepare for something like Record Time? What's acceptable pre, the starting pistol being fired? The way I figure it, next week is going to be filled with late nights, and bust lunch breaks at work as I feverishly pull together whatever I can. Luckily my partner in crime is also writing half of everything so that takes some of the pressure off but still. Anyway, I've resorted to taking my bass guitar into a shop to get the intonation sorted out, don't want all that speed composition sounding too shonky. I've also chosen the drum sounds we're going to use, dry, vintage, dirty. And then, by way of creating hopefully some catalysts, me and Layla (the partner in crime) have listed a whole bunch of song titles which will hopefully inspire some instant silliness.

Not wishing to over-sell what's possible, but we're going to aim for a sort of Luke Vibert (Wagon Christ) vibe i.e. Aphex Twin-lite, perhaps crossed with a bit of folk whimsy. We're both really looking forward to it. Not sure duration wise what we're going to end up with, but we're certainly not going to be looking at the clock.

And to be a geek (which I am day in day out) here's our kit list (come on guys, let's start off a trend):

iMac
Logic Pro
Reason 3
Pod UX2
Focusrite channel strip
Some midi keyboards with knobs
Some sort of microphone
A rack of washing which acts as a beautiful sound deadening device
Wine, I suspect, quite a bit of wine, and maybe some dirty, brown, British real ale

Good luck everyone, I'll be logging back in here once we've achieved maximum velocity.

No comments:

Post a Comment