Friday, October 9, 2009

Movie Metal

Like every Record Time, I start to obsess a little in the days and weeks beforehand. I've been thinking a lot about what I could do, and the answer finally came to me. I think I'd like to do a pop-metal plus orchestra record, but more specifically a strange kind of rock piano concerto.

The whole rock band plus orchestra thing certainly isn't new, but most records of that kind are simply orchestral arrangements slapped on old, famous songs (Metallica's S&M for example). Writing new songs with the orchestra in the picture the whole time is much less common, but much more awesome (Joanna Newsom's "Ys" and Waltari's "Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! Death Metal Symphony in Deep C).

So here's the idea.

[BEGIN NERD SECTION]

First of all, piano all the time. This is why I'm calling it a concerto. I want something I might one day be able to perform live, without having to switch instruments or tunings every song. These songs will be piano based, and hopefully show that I've been practicing!

I think I'll be creating/mixing this in 3 stages.

First, the band; that means drums, guitar, bass, piano. Mix that, bounce it.

Next, orchestra. I suppose I should clarify: I don't have a real orchestra. I do, however, have a lot of toys, and... well, you'll see. Mix the orchestra independently, bounce it.

Then, vocals. The great part about this 3-stage process is that I'm allowed even MORE vocal tracks...most of my older songs are around 40 tracks, 7 of which are typically vocals. At that point, my computer often attempts self-immolation. Doing submixes for the band and the orchestra means I could easily have 30 vocal tracks on every song. If you've listened to any of my music, you know that this is a dangerous opportunity for me.

[END NERD SECTION]

Anyways, I'm also considering doing a "making of" video...I try this every time but keep forgetting to actually shoot any video. I thought it might be kind of fun to do a more instructional type thing, maybe a "how to make an album in a week" thing for Youtube. I'd like to think I have some good advice.

Speaking of advice: TEMPLATES, people! I've been using Pro Tools for about 5 years, and approximately 3 of those years were spent performing basic tasks that templates would have eliminated. So figure it out!

5 comments:

  1. 1) What is a "template"?
    2) If we don't use ProTools, can we still use a "template"?

    I guess I'm asking, is a template something that you make yourself so you can get things done more quickly, or is it an actual template that is pre-made within ProTools that I would not benefit from since I don't use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're using a computer recording program, you can use a template...if not, then you can't.

    A template basically sets up your session with all of the things you normally use. So when I make a session with my "Basic Score" template, it will load about 10 stereo tracks for keyboard parts, a stereo instrument track for Battery 3 with Orchestral Percussion, a Master fader, and an Aux track for reverb. It will also set up all the inputs, and name the tracks appropriately...it's cool, and basically the first thing I should have learned in Pro Tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, ok... so you mean make your own template to use on each song you write...

    Well, I personally don't think that would work for me very well. Simply because every time I record a new track, I'm experimenting with new sounds/ideas. But I know what you're saying now. I had originally understood your template comment to be something that was built into Pro Tools explicitly... I got ya now though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My template loads up a crunchy old vintage drum kit and a bass setting for my Pod. I can see how adding in some aux reverb, and blank tracks for the usual suspects would be a good idea. I'll get on with that this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm pretty excited for your album, and everyone else's!

    ReplyDelete