Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Preparation

I've been making some small preparations for RT5, and setting a few goals.

First of all, I'm aiming for 40 minutes this time. 30 minutes is a real barrier (my last three albums were all around 29:30, and I couldn't even bring myself to add 30 seconds of silence to the end of each) but this time I really want to make something that feels substantial and complete.

For the first time in about 4 years, I'm switching tunings. My beloved Open C has been replaced by Drop D, the choice tuning of countless bands I'd rather not be caught listening to. I'm doing this for a few reasons. First off, this isn't going to be a metal record, so I don't particularly feel the need for that snarly low C. The bass will come through much better as well...still haven't found a 4-string that can handle the open tuning with much grace. Finally, I think this is going to be a piano-based record, and even though I've been playing in C for years, I still don't know where the notes or scales are, so this should be a bit faster.

Bought myself some new strings, but I think I'll wait till Saturday to put them on, for maximum freshness. I also have to build a new Battery 3 drumkit, and probably a new guitar tone for my POD XT, so the album will have a nice unique sound. I'm also going to throw most of my drum compression out for this one...I think I'm finally over the macho crap that says every drum hit should be a sledgehammer to the face.

As for the music, I have no idea what will come out, but I think I'd like this to be a serious, gimmick-free record...something really pretty and without too much sarcasm. Lots of piano, and lots of interesting chords...those 4 years of theory are finally starting to click, after doing lots of film scoring and instrumental music. And I think the "colors" of this album are green and blue.

I think I'm actually going to paint the artwork by hand this week, and use it for inspiration next week. I've only recently gotten into painting...now I see what all the fuss is about.

Seriously though, we might have a LOT of people on this one. Of the 81 in the Facebook group, I was originally expecting around 20 to actually do something, but I keep getting messages from people who are really serious about it, and aiming REALLY high. I hope I can keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment